We finally got a chance to work on the kitchen tile some more this weekend and for the first time in a long time, we had a whole weekend with nothing else going on. I was excited soccer was cancelled due to rain. Jeff mixed up a big bucket of mortar and when we went to lay the first few tiles we noticed they were 1/8 th inch bigger than the ones already on the floor so we opened a new box and it was the same. That doesn't sound like a lot but when you need straight grout lines, that's impossible to work with. I opened a few more and they were too big too plus they were darker in color!! We didn't understand how this could be since we bought all the boxes in one big pallet and they all had the same bar code. Jeff started saying we might end up having to tear up what we had done and start over!! I was about to lose my mind, seriously! I called Home Depot where, we bought the tile, and they were confused too but called us back twice after checking their stock. They said the found some that might be the same size so we decided to try that. So that was our whole Saturday gone. Sun morning we looked at all of our boxes and it turned out that only 7 or 8 boxes were the big ones and 13 were the same size as the ones on the floor, thank goodness! The bigger ones had a different date on them too so that may have been the problem. Well, the ones at our Home Depot didn't work but Jeff went to 3 others and found enough that match to hopefully complete the project. This all took until Sunday evening so we got a late start but we did get some tile down after all that mess. I was so mad because we could have gotten some much done but because of those stupid tiles we lost almost a whole weekend grrrr!
Here's the progress we made.The blue dots are the ones we can't step on for 24hrs. Try to keep a 3yr old from doing that!
I'm not sure what the lesson is here, maybe don't buy cheap tile? When you are trying to sell though, its pointless to spend more than you have to. Maybe check the dates on the boxes to make sure they are the same, who knows....I just keep repeating to my myself that everything happens for a reason and this is taking forever because our dream house just isn't ready yet. OY
No comments:
Post a Comment